What type of Lawyer do you need?
I need a lawyer, what do I need to do first?
1. What kind of lawyer do I need?
Well, first thing you want to do before you hire a lawyer is you want to sit down and determine what kind of lawyer are you looking for...
So, the first thing you need to look for is does that attorney practice in that area of law that you need to hire to help you accomplish your goal.
2. Write down questions you’d like answers to
The second thing you need to do is write down questions about what you want to ask that lawyer…
- what are their fee arrangements?
- how do they bill?
- how do you communicate with them?
- Or, you need to write down what your availability is to be able to pay that lawyer, to be able to work with that lawyer and get along with that lawyer.
3. Choose a lawyer like you would choose a family doctor
The third thing I think I ask all my potential clients to look at is they have to hire their lawyer as if they’re hiring their own family doctor…they have to like
- the way they look
- they have to like the way they talk
- they have to like the surroundings around them
- they have to like the offices
Because that is someone that you are now going to journeys down this road, this political road, or this legal road…whether it’s in a courtroom or it’s settled out of court — you need to have somebody supporting you along the way to get accomplished what you are there to do…
- whether it’s a settlement on a car accident or PI case
- whether it’s getting divorced
- whether it’s going in front of a probate court
I encourage all my potential clients to interview other lawyers…you want to talk to other lawyers so you can get a feel for who you’re hiring and the job they are going to be doing for you.
The Ashmore Law Firm, P.C. | Contact Us
Expertise. Experience. Excellence.
3636 Maple Avenue
Dallas, TX 75219-3908
Phone: (214) 559-7202
Fax: (214) 520-1550
Video production by Huddle Productions.